Friday, May 05, 2006

2nd week - staying away

I've stayed away from rehearsals this week as much as possible. When I say this, I don't mean that I can't keep myself away from rehearsals, I mean that I go ONLY when I have to....which is just fine by me.

Last Friday began the actual get-up-from-the-table work. Emotional and physical processing of the characters. I was there for the first 10 minutes of it and then realized...Yep. I'm gonna go crazy if I sit and watch this.

It's not that the actors are getting anything wrong. It's just...
I've been listening to the play so much now, it's like hearing a word over and over and over again... after awhile it begins to sound distorted.

My focus has been touch ups to ACT I this week and major face lifts on ACT II.
Had one moment of major restructuring of a scene in ACT I (remember, Suehyla? Doesn't play well alone). I took it in and Lisa asked, "Why did you change this scene?"

And I didn't have an answer.

Yep. Need to get out more. Most definately.

The great moment of those 10 minutes of directing that I saw by Lisa was the day after...
I'll tell you this:
As Lisa began to direct the first scene of the first act, I thought...this isn't how I picture it, not that I pictured it too solidly but that...THIS, what's going on...isn't working for me. I need to leave.

And so I did.

I returned the next day and Lisa asks, Would you like to see what we've done so far?

And I say, Yes.

And they begin.


And it's exaclty what I felt i'd written.
Funny how that happens.

So. Yes. I've been having a blast NOT going to rehearsals. Because I'm excited about what i'm not watching happen...
so i can just see what happens.

It's a little odd, anyway, switching hats: sitting at a table of actors, i'm accustomed to being WITH the cast.
AND...i'm a talker. So. *smile* Sometimes a director, too.

Yeah. Better that i'm not there. *grin*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home